Type: Contract [12 months – 5 years]
Location: Cape Town
Horticulturists are responsible for the cultivation of plants. They work with a wide range of species, from traditional crops like fruits and vegetables to more exotic plants like orchids and bonsai trees. Horticulturists may also be involved in the production of flowers, seeds, and other plant-based products.
Introduction of our client
Civil engineering company based in Kempton Park, Gauteng is looking to Horticulturist for its branch in Cape Town
Key Performance Areas: Core Functions
- Assist with landscape maintenance, restoration, and design
- Install and cultivate functional and ornamental plants
- Transplant and prune shrubs and small trees
- Weed landscape beds and assist with mulching
- Identify and treat potential pests or diseases
- Provide plant care advice to other team members and client
- Monitoring insect populations to determine when pesticides or other treatments are needed
- Conducting environmental impact assessments to determine if proposed construction projects will have any impact on the surrounding environment or wildlife habitats
- Evaluating plants for signs of stress, disease, or other problems
- Consulting with customers about the selection of plants suitable for their needs
- Planting and maintaining plants in nurseries where new plants are grown before being sold to the public
- Recommending new planting designs or layouts based on client needs, available space, sunlight requirements, and other considerations
- Conducting research to develop new plant varieties that are resistant to disease or drought.
- Conducting research on soil composition, irrigation methods, pest control techniques, and other factors that affect plant growth.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- National Diploma in Horticulture, Landscaping and other related qualifications
- Experience in landscaping or working with various types of plants (3-5 years preferred)
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to analyse data for better decision-making.
- Experience with high profile estates/properties
- Adequate knowledge of learner management systems/ e-learning.
- Landscape maintenance experience on a managerial level
Job Related Experience
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Comfortable working outside in various weather conditions
- Maintenance, design and restoration of the gardens and nursery.
- To ensure seasonal and annual plans are carried out and daily management of the garden staff
- Provide plant care advice to other team members and clients.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Technical skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Business management skills
- Leadership skills
R30k negotiable – depending on experience.
David Nelwalani email@example.com +27 (0) 60 449 0880 +27 (0) 10 634 0591